Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Engaging McClendon

One of the events I'm most eagerly anticipating in connection with the upcoming meetings of the American Academy of Religion and Society of Biblical Literature I'm attending in Chicago this weekend is the gathering of the National Association of Baptist Professors of Religion on Saturday, November 17, 9:00-11:30 AM at the McCormick Place Convention Center / Room W183c. The program will feature a panel exploring the work of Baptist theologian James Wm. McClendon, Jr. in connection with the reissue of his Systematic Theology this year by Baylor University Press in a new edition with introductions for each volume by Curtis Freeman. Panelists for the NABPR McClendon session include Terrance W. Tilley (Fordham University), Kimlyn Bender (George W. Truett Theological Seminary, Baylor University), Willie Jennings (Duke University Divinity School), and Jacob L. Goodson (College of William and Mary), with Curtis Freeman (Duke University Divinity School) serving as moderator. Plans are in the works to publish these responses to McClendon in the form of a book symposium in the journal Perspectives in Religious Studies published by the NABPR (for which I serve as Book Review Editor). In a future post to the ABPnews Blog I'll report on this panel and offer my own reflections on the Baylor University Press reissue of McClendon; that post will appear subsequently here at Ecclesial Theology as well.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Steven, I am sure this will go well. We are working on McClendon in New Zealand too. My PhD student, Brendon Neilson is examining McClendon's use of metaphor.

    Martin Sutherland
    Laidlaw College,Auckland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martin, I'm glad to know of the interest of McClendon in your circles. I would be most interested in reading Brendon's dissertation when completed.

      Delete
  2. Steve,

    I stumbled upon your blog via John Armstrong and now have it linked on my own blog and have your books on my wish list for Amazon! I appreciate your passion for ecumenism and unity. I am soon finishing my Th.M. at the University of Dayton after having completed a Master of Divinity at SBTS, and once I'm finally done, I hope to read your books (and *then* maybe McClendon's).

    Bradley

    ReplyDelete