Friday, October 12, 2012

A Friday miscellany

Some miscellaneous tidbits at week's end:

I'm grateful to the Catholic Herald (UK) for including my ABPnews Blog post "Vatican II, 50 years later: a Baptist appreciation" in its morning "must reads" list today.

Speaking of that anniversary and things linked from the Catholic Herald: Catholic blogger Fr. John Zuhlsdorf has posted links to YouTube clips of newsreel footage of the opening session of the Second Vatican Council broadcast as part of an Italian television documentary.

Finally, I'm looking forward to doing some theodicy-themed teaching and preaching this Sunday at the First Baptist Church of Tryon, NC, where my friend and former student Jeff Harris is pastor. At 9:45 AM I'll deliver the lecture "God Is Great, God Is Good--Yet There Are Folks Who Have No Food: Thinking Together About God and Suffering," followed by Q & A. In the 11:00 AM worship service I'm preaching the sermon "In Good Company" (Job 23:1-9; Hebrews 4:12-16; Mark 10:17-31). (In both the lecture and sermon I'll actually contend that in place of a "theodicy," the Christian tradition offers us and the world a Trinitarian account of the response of God and God's people to the reality of suffering and injustice.)

No comments:

Post a Comment